Friday, August 29, 2008

Weighing In

I've never used this blog for political activism before, but I feel too strongly about this topic to let it go unspoken. Allow me to vent.

I had a short conversation with a woman yesterday who was reading a magazine (I think it was People). I used the typical conversation starter, 'How are you?', which started her on a monologue about how amazing Barak Obama's acceptance speech the night previous at the Denver convention was, and how he was going to be such an amazing agent of needed change in government and for the common person on the street. By the way her face lit up, I was pretty sure she'd seen angels from heaven descend behind him as he gave the speech, with celestial choirs announcing him as the savior for the world. However, despite her emotional outpouring, she never took her eyes off the magazine. Hoping the change the subject, I asked her what she had found so interesting in her magazine. She started to turn the page to me, and I caught a glimpse of the title - something about how a mom had recently killed her young son - but she quickly jerked the magazine back to herself and closed it, saying something to the affect of 'oh, it's such a sad story, I don't want to put a damper on your day.'

I now wish I would have started a conversation to help her think through what had just come out of her mouth. But I didn't. I sat stunned for a moment at the hypocrisy of being abhorred with a mom killing her own toddler, yet being so in love with a man who's life's work includes trying to make this very thing possible, the only difference being the age of the baby. Younger than 9 months old? Sure, go ahead! Kill 'em! Older than that? Well, that's somehow a different story.

Here's a short video on the stance that Obama's taken in the past. The heartless cruelty is enough to bring tears to my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypDwNpgIUQc&NR=1

Above your paygrade, Mr. Presidential Candidate?! I pray that God shows more mercy on America than he showed to many nations in the Old Testament days when he ordered the nation of Israel to wipe them out completely, in part due to his sheer disdain for their worship of the god Molech, who they sacrificed their infant children to. We think we're pretty advanced in technology, thought, and culture here in the 21st century, but how much has really changed over the last 3,000 years?

No comments: