Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Kayaking Sequim Bay & Dungeness Spit

On Sunday we decided to worship with a kayaking trip out of John Wayne Marina (named after the Duke himself) on Sequim Bay.

We rented doubles for a couple hours, and caught the tide at low, which always brings better views of wild sea critters.
We saw a lot of good sized crabs, like this one. I even got one to grab my paddle with it's big pincher (anyone know the real name of those mean-lookin' claws?) and I hauled it out of the water for a few long seconds before it let go and splashed to safety.
I decided this one would be a little tastier after cooking for a while.
Plenty of dive-bombing gulls to watch out for.
I think I had the best view in the Bay.
We also saw quite a few GB herons.
We cruised through some old pilings before heading back to the docks.
That night we took a short walk out on the Dungeness Spit, a pretty neat little area that sticks out a few miles into the Straight of Juan de Fuca.
View of the crew.
Sunset shot of the chicks.
Abigail put up with a lot out here - it was cold and windy, and the spray from the ocean was enough to chill the bones. If she could talk here, she'd have said 'Shiver me timbers! Guys, I'm sure this is fun for you & all, but maybe could we come back and check this place out on a warmer day?'
Yeah for being back at the warm car!
Thanks for being a trooper, Abee Joy!

1 comment:

Karen said...

I love all of your pictures. Abigail is growing up so much and is so cute. I'm envious of your outdoor adventures...not that exciting in the land of corn and soybeans. Although with the floods this year, I probably could have kayaked through some of the fields. :)