Thursday, January 14, 2010

Haiti

The news of the earthquake - mostly the human suffering because of it - has made my heart ache the past couple of days. Watching the images of ravaged buildings, rampant looting, and rising death counts in the midst of the world's deepest poverty literally has brought tears to my eyes. Those dead, dying, maimed and suffering are someone's sons, daughters, husbands, and wives. Loved. Maybe my soul aches because I've seen the Dominican Republic, the 'rich' country on the island, and have seen its' physical poverty. Maybe it aches because I feel guilty, undeserving, that somehow I've won the lottery and was born in the US. But as much as my heart aches, I know God, who Knows each person affected, aches infinitely more. He aches not just for their temporal physical well-being, but for their eternal well-being. He sees this blood & sin stained world as worth rescuing. He proved it - not just on the cross, but in my life. Thankfully for the Haitians, and for all those who realize they need Rescuing, as Yancey said, Grace, like water, flows to the lowest part.

No comments: