Monday, September 14, 2009

Summit Lake 2009

After church Sunday we finally hit the road (as quickly as a herd of turtles). This became a favorite of ours last year after a tip from Mike E. Abee was happy to be back to the same meadow that she 'perfected' the art of standing, 13 short months ago.

It's only a 5 mile hike (round trip), with extra distance optional if you want to hike around the lake for better views. And the views of Rainier didn't disappoint.But the weather was being a bit peculiar. Just as we crested the ridge and dropped down towards the lake, we were socked in by thick fog. Abigail found that funny. Obligatory group shot.

Matanuska didn't mind the fog. The water was wet & the sticks kept flying back into the water. . . but the tadpoles unnerved her a little.
Here she says: 'uh, guys, I don't think I want to mess with that tadpole.'
Abee Joy had her ups and downs, but she proved to be a great hiker.
We had an immersion baptism of a few ~6 year old girls in our church yesterday. It went great. But Melis, in a conversation with one of them beforehand, was asked 'Will I still be alive after I come back up from under the water?' While a cute comment (with deeper spiritual implications than this young girl probably understood), I couldn't help but think that my understanding of the fullness of our Sovereign God is still growing, too. Lately I've been pondering how God woo's us, allowing us to 'taste and see' Him. Sure, it seems like a simple concept, but so profound. While so much of me wants to physically 'taste and see' with my own five senses, in the words of John Piper:
'The soul tastes truth like the lips taste food. Spiritual hunger cries out for rich, substantial nourishment. It is remarkable how much meat these daily portions contain.'
I suppose life will be too short a time to learn to enjoy fully the rich tastes God wants so much to share with us. But I'm trying.

No comments: