Sunday, July 05, 2009

Firecracker Triathlon

About two weeks ago David asked a handful of us if we'd be interested in doing a sprint triathlon on the 4th of July. I thought my excuse of 'I swim like a lead weight' would suffice, but he kept twisting my arm until I consented. I'm glad I did. I borrowed a bike from Bill, Melis's swim goggles, and had to get some biker shorts. I knew that I'd be towards the end of the pack in the swim (I was), but I was hoping to make up time on the bike (I was). I had passed about 25 people on the bike before mile 7, when my smooth-riding bike got bumpy real fast. A blown back tire had me walking until a guy named Lance (I doubt his last name was Armstrong) lent me a tube & a tire changing kit. It took me a while to figure it out, but 19 minutes after I went flat I was racing again. Before the race started, I had hoped to finish before 1:30 in my first tri, but I still came in at 1:33. . .so I'll take it! Thanks to Abee (& Melis) for making a sweet sign to root me on. It helped!

I'm sure there are some spiritual parallels to be found the race. Trials, tribulations, being helped out when you can't help yourself, continuing on even though dissappointments may come, the blessings of supportive friends & family, etc. Granted, this is a small-scale race that doesn't mean anything. But participating in it sure was rewarding, much like this journey we call life.

1 comment:

The Kiers said...

Looks fun! Love the video.