Sunday, September 07, 2008

Backpacking to Lake Ellinor

When Dave asked me a few weeks ago about backpacking this weekend, I was a little bummed, because I had already committed to give a talk to a Lions Club about the InfantSee Program. Thankfully, my talk was at 9 am, which meant I'd just leave a few hours after everyone else.
The destination was Lake Eleanor via Grand Park, leaving from Sunrise on Mt Rainier.
I was glad to have Roger join me on the way out. Here's a shot of him as we approached Grand Park, which is a unique plateau 1 1/2 miles long, and 1/2 mile wide. Because it's nearly all meadow, you can almost imagine that far off bush being a elk or a bear. But that's all we could do - no large wildlife was spotted on the way out, although we did hear some elk bugling in a valley nearby.
Lake Eleanor in the morning.
These camp robber birds were actually a bit annoying. They'd dive-bomb anyone with food, and didn't mind landing on your hand for a nibble of whatever you had to offer. You wonder how they got this fearless ;-)
Dave tried his luck at fishing, but only pulled up some of tin foil.
Mark & I stayed nice & cozy in here.
Dave, Mark, me, Bill, & Roger.
Grand Park & Rainier on our way out this morning.
One of the numerous small falls along the way.
Bill shows his balancing skills navigating the slippery rocks.
The wildflowers were mostly done, but some bear grass was still hanging around.
We hiked this whole valley to the plateau on the far end, about 9 miles total each way.
Marmots were plentiful in this area. It's hard to see, but this guy is chubby enough that he'll have no problem making it through this winter.
Frozen Lake, near Sunrise.
About 400 yards from the parking lot, a bear cub crossed out trail in front of us. We watched for a while for mamma bear, but never did see her!
Thanks for the great weekend, guys! And thanks to Melis & Abee Joy for letting me go!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I have hiking envy. Next year, you guys have to do this trip in August!

Great pics though.

Anonymous said...

what a cool area!

Anonymous said...

That was steve btw